St Audoen’s is Dublin's earliest surviving medieval church. The 12th-Century tower is believed to be the oldest in Ireland, and its three bells date from 1423. Named after St. Ouen who was the 7th century bishop of Rouen, France and patron saint of Normandy, it is footprint of the 12th century Norman invasion of Ireland.
Visitors to St Audoen's will see the part of the church still in use by the Church of Ireland as a parish church. They can also view the 17th century memorials to the Sparke and Duff families and the 15th century effigial tomb to Baron Portlester and his wife. A doorway inserted into the south wall sometime in the 18th century leads into the south aisle, known as St. Anne's Chapel, this houses an award-winning exhibition on the importance of St Audoen's Church in the life of the medieval city.
Opening Hours :
May - October: Daily 9.30am - 17.30pm
Last admissions 16.45pm