One of Ireland’s most famous buildings and also one of the last Georgian buildings, it took 3 years to build beginning 1814 and on 6th January 1818, the new post-office in Sackville Street (now O'Connell Street) was opened for business. It cost £50,000 to build which was considered a huge amount of money at the time. An interesting fact is that the GPO was not always located on O’Connell Street; its first location was a small building off Dame Street where the central bank is now. The GPO was finally finished in 1818 and opened on Sackville Street (now O’Connell Street).
The building is mainly constructed of Wicklow granite while the roof structure over the entrance is of Portland stone. The statues on the roof, Mercury on the right, with his Caduceus and purse; Fidelity on the left, with her finger on her lip and a key in her hand; and Hibernia in the centre, resting on her spear and holding a harp were designed by the sculptor John Smyth.
The GPO was most famously used as headquarters for Irish rebels during the Easter Rising in 1916, the building was destroyed during the rebellion and was rebuilt and reopened again in 1929. In commemoration of the Rising, a statue depicting the death of the mythical hero Cúchulainn sculpted by Oliver Sheppard in 1911 is housed in the building and was featured on the Irish ten shilling coin of 1966.
The GPO also houses a museum which shows the history of the building and the postal service, you can also find the Proclamation of the Irish Republic inside the GPO.
The GPO is open from 8am till 8pm Monday to Sunday.