Located along the River Liffey is Custom House is an 18th century building, which houses the Department of the Environment, Heritage and Local Government
James Gandon was appointed as architect in 1781 and by 7 November 1791 Custom House was open for business. The building has four Facades and is decorated with coats-of-arms and ornamental sculptures (by Edward Smyth) representing Ireland's rivers., Henry Banks an artist, was responsible for the statue on the dome and other statues.
The first 9 years after the build was completed it was used for the headquarters of commissioners of custom and excise. After Dublin expanding and Dublin Port moving down river, the building's original use became obsolete, and it was used as the headquarters of local government in Ireland.
The Irish Republican Army set The Custom House on fire during the War of Independence in 1921. The fire lasted 5 days and destroyed James Gandons work. The originally centre dome collapsed and a large amount of historical records were destroyed in the fire.
After the Anglo-Irish Treaty, the Irish Free State government restored the building. The results of this reconstruction can still be seen on the building's exterior today – the dome was rebuilt using Irish Ardbraccan limestone, which is noticeably darker than the Portland stone used in the original construction.
Admission is free to visit The Custom House.