Deutch Italiano Franšais Espa˝ol
BOOK ONLINE NOW
Be the first to receive our special offers

St Stephen's Green

St Stephen's Green is a large Victorian Public park which was officially opened on July 27th 1880 and is situated in a Georgian Square. It is the largest of the 3 Georgian squares left on the south side at a size of 22 acres.

Before St Stephen's Green became a public park it was a marshy land based on the outskirts of the city. In 1664 a wall was placed around the square and the originally buildings were being replaced with magnificent Georgian buildings to tower over the square, not many of the originally building still stand but replica Georgian style houses still exist,  at the end of the 18th century the square was known to be used by the wealthier people of Dublin.

Around 1814 the layout of the square was changed to have railing instead of the wall around. In 1815 the park was redesigned by Arthur Neville and he gave the park winding paths and iron fencing. During the 1860s there was a campaign to make St Stephens Green open to the public and this meant more design work was needed to make it more walkable and practical to the public. It was eventually opened to the public in 1877. Arthur Ernst Guinness the great Grandson of Arthur Guinness paid for the lay out of the green to what you see today. Due to his work on St Stephens Green a statue of Arthur was erected in the park and faces the Royal College of Surgeons.

The Fusilier Arch which stands at the main entrance facing Grafton Street was erected in 1907 as a tribute to all the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who fought and died in the Second Boer War. The names of those who died are inscribed beneath the arch.

Over 3.5 km of pathways are accessible for all users with extensive perimeter tree and shrub planting, spectacular spring and summer Victorian bedding. The herbaceous border also provides colour from early spring to late autumn. Sanctuary from inclement weather can be obtained in the Victorian lakeside shelter or in the Victorian Swiss shelters in the centre of the park. The waterfall and Pulham rock work on the western side of the green are worth a visit as is the ornamental lake which provides a home for waterfowl and a garden for the visually impaired. A number of sculptures are located throughout the green. A children's playground is a popular attraction of the park. Lunchtime concerts are performed in the band stand during the summer.

 

 St Stephens Green is located on the South side of Dublin city centre and a 15-20 Minute walk from the Castle Hotel or you can take the 15 and 44 local bus from the city centre.

 

Opening Times:

Mon-Sat 07.30, Sun and Holidays 09.30

Gardens Close: According to daylight hours